- 2 tbsp olive oil;
- 1 4oz package of House of Jerky Ghost Pepper Jerky, soaked in boiling hot water for 30 minutes, then thinly sliced;
- 1 15oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes;
- 8 good quality Mexican style corn tortillas, warmed in a towel;
- 2 ripe avocados, diced and tossed with salt and lime juice;
- Shredded cheese of choice (I chose sharp cheddar);
- 1/4 head of red cabbage, shredded;
- 1 tart apple, peeled and cut into matchsticks;
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced on a bias;
- Handful of flat leaf parsley, minced;
- Juice of one lime;
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar;
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in the pan, add the jerky and tomatoes with juice, cover, reduce heat and simmer for as long as you have time. I simmered mine for an hour and a half, occasionally adding a bit of water. The filling should be moist, but not soupy.
- Toss cabbage, apple, scallions, parsley, cider vinegar and 1 tbsp of oil together. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside for 30 minutes, allowing flavors to meld.
- Place warmed tortillas on plates, 2 per person. Top each tortilla with a heaping tablespoon of jerky filling. Sprinkle with cheese. Top with diced avocado and cabbage-apple slaw. Serve immediately.
Source: Read the complete article at Gourmet Rambler